Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fitbit has arrived!

1-29-09: It's finally here! Thx to one of the founders, Eric, I was able to get my Fitbit before leaving for the APHA conference next week. I've had it for a couple of days now, so here are some pictures of it.

The Fitbit (www.fitbit.com) is a type of accelorometer that measure my steps, how far I've walked, and how many calories I've burned. It download's the data wireless and automatically to the receiver attached to my PC via USB and uploads my data to my account online. There I can see my progress, data, graphs, goals, etc. I can also log my eating there so I can see calorie balance info and weight loss goals.

Had a bit of a challenge getting the receiver set up on both my computer here at work (network issues) and my iMac at home, but I did get it to communicate and sync up on Keri's Dell laptop. But I wanted to use it at work and upload my data while I'm here, and also show it to patients, so thanks to our clinic's IT, I was able to get the proxy and port info so now it's working fine!

Will have more info on what it's tracking, the website, and how it's going. Initial comparison tests with my Yamax pedometer is very good. Both reading about the same.

Check out the pictures! And maybe someday, this may be a device that is part of a online video game so that your real-life phyiscal activity can be credited in the game, say like...oh, that's top secret and in development! LOL!


No comments:

Post a Comment