Friday, November 4, 2011

Sedentarianism linked to cancer!

11-4-11: More proof that not only should we get our 50-60 mins. of moderate exercise per day, but we should decrease our sedentary time as welhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifl!

A new study that was presented today shows how being too inactive (sedentary) throughout the day is linked to increased cancer! You can read more about it here.

So think of how you can decrease your sedentary time. I have a pedalar I picked up at Wal-Mart for $25 and whenever I am reading or talking on the phone, I sit back and pedal on it. (My desk is not quite high enough for me to pedal while I'm typing on the computer--like right now, but am working on that).

Some people are able to set up a treadmill or stationary bike in their office and walk/pedal while they are surfing the Net or on their laptop/computer. I don't have that space in my office so do the next best thing.

Also taking breaks during every hour and going out for a quick walk or something is a good way to break up the sedentary time.

In summary, while exercising for 60 mins. is good, being sedentary the other 23 hours is a big risk factor, despite that hour of exercise!

So work on doing both and reduce your risk of cancer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment